This program was developed originally by Mauricio Piacentini (@piacentini) from Tabuleiro Producoes, as the Arca Database Browser. The original version was used as a free companion tool to the Arca Database Xtra, a commercial product that embeds SQLite databases with some additional extensions to handle compressed and binary data.
The original code was trimmed and adjusted to be compatible with standard SQLite 2.x databases. The resulting program was renamed SQLite Database Browser, and released into the Public Domain by Mauricio. Icons were contributed by Raquel Ravanini, also from Tabuleiro. Jens Miltner (@jmiltner) contributed the code to support SQLite 3.x databases for the 1.2 release.
Pete Morgan (@daffodil) created an initial project on GitHub with the code in 2012, where several contributors fixed and improved pieces over the years. René Peinthor (@rp-) and Martin Kleusberg (@MKleusberg) then became involved, and were the main driving force from that point. Justin Clift (@justinclift) started the new github.com/sqlitebrowser organisation on GitHub, (roughly) co-ordinates the project, and creates our Windows and macOS nightly builds.
John T. Haller, of PortableApps.com fame, created the new logo. He based it on the Tango icon set (public domain).
In August 2014, the project was renamed to “Database Browser for SQLite” at the request of Richard Hipp (creator of SQLite), as the previous name was creating unintended support issues.
In September 2014, the project was renamed to “DB Browser for SQLite”, to avoid confusion with an existing application called “Database Browser”.
- Version 3.12.2 released - 2021-05-18
- Version 3.12.1 released - 2020-11-09
- Version 3.12.0 released - 2020-06-16
- Version 3.11.2 released - 2019-04-03
- Version 3.11.1 released - 2019-02-18
- Version 3.11.0 released - 2019-02-07
- Version 3.10.1 released - 2017-09-20
- Version 3.10.0 released - 2017-08-20
- Version 3.9.1 released - 2016-10-03
- Version 3.9.0 released - 2016-08-24
- Version 3.8.0 released - 2015-12-25
- Version 3.7.0 released - 2015-06-14
- Version 3.6.0 released - 2015-04-27
- Version 3.5.1 released - 2015-02-08
- Version 3.5.0 released - 2015-01-31
- Version 3.4.0 released - 2014-10-29
- Version 3.3.1 released - 2014-08-31 - Project renamed from “SQLite Database Browser”
- Version 3.3.0 released - 2014-08-24
- Version 3.2.0 released - 2014-07-06
- Version 3.1.0 released - 2014-05-17
- Version 3.0.3 released - 2014-04-28
- Version 3.0.2 released - 2014-02-12
- Version 3.0.1 released - 2013-12-02
- Version 3.0 released - 2013-09-15
- Version 3.0rc1 released - 2013-09-09 - Project now on GitHub
- Version 2.0b1 released - 2009-12-10 - Based on Qt4.6
- Version 1.2 released - 2005-04-05
- Version 1.1 released - 2004-07-20
- Version 1.01 released - 2003-10-02
- Version 1.0 released to public domain - 2003-08-19